20 Jun 2017

Can An Ambulance Company Be Sued for Wrongful Death ?

When someone dies at the scene of an accident, it’s completely normal for loved ones to wonder if there was anything paramedics could have done to save them. While paramedic and emergency medical technician (EMT) negligence is uncommon, it can happen and result in a wrongful death claim.

Paramedics and EMTs provide emergency medical treatment at the scene of accidents in Connecticut. While EMTs generally cannot administer medication, they are trained to check for life-threatening medical conditions and perform lifesaving intervention until a patient is transported to the hospital. Paramedics are EMTs with advanced life support training with the ability to give many types of medications and begin IV lines.

The duties of a paramedic or EMT include:

  • Checking for life-threatening conditions
  • Treating symptoms according to training
  • Preparing a patient for transport to the hospital
  • Providing immediate, safe transport to the closest hospital
  • Taking control of the patient’s care until the ambulance reaches the hospital

Types of EMT Negligence

While rare, EMT and paramedic negligence can occur in many ways. One of the most common forms of negligence is an accident. According to one study, ambulances are 13 times more likely to crash than other vehicles because ambulance drivers are usually more focused on arriving at the hospital as fast as possible than driving safely. Someone who is already injured may not survive another accident.

Medication mistakes can also be a form of negligence. EMTs and paramedics can only administer approved medications on the scene, but failure to give the correct drug, check that the patient is not on a drug that can interact, or giving the incorrect dose can be negligence.

Miscommunication with the hospital can also be grounds for a wrongful death action. The EMT’s duty to the patient ends when the EMT delivers the patient to the hospital staff, but the EMT must correctly report their assessment of the patient’s condition and treatment to ensure the patient receives the correct care.

Other forms of negligence may include:

  • Physical or sexual assault
  • Failing to create and preserve records of the incident
  • Acting beyond the scope of a paramedic or EMT
  • Failing to check circulation, breathing, and airway
  • Failing to take the patient’s history
  • Improper use of medical devices
  • Lack of proper certification

If you have lost a loved one due to negligence on the part of an EMT or paramedic, the ambulance company may be held liable under Connecticut law. An experienced wrongful death attorney in New Haven can help you explore your legal options to hold the responsible party accountable and file a wrongful death claim for medical expenses, final expenses, loss of companionship, and loss of future income.

20 Jun 2017

How Social Media Can Damage Your Personal Injury Case ?

If you have been injured in an accident and plan to file an injury claim, it’s a safe bet that the insurance company is watching what you do. Depending on the value of your claim, the insurance company may even have someone following you to the grocery store, the gym, and on errands. This is because insurance companies do their due diligence to investigate claims, look for fraud, and minimize payouts whenever possible. Regardless of the size of your claim, you can be certain the insurance company will follow what you do online — and use this information against you.

Your social media presence can become your greatest threat to your claim, no matter how valid it is and how injured you truly are. One of the most important things you can do to safeguard your personal injury claim is protecting your online identity and thinking twice before posting anything.

How Social Media Is Used Against You

While social media makes it easy to connect with friends and loved ones, it can also make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. During your personal injury case, you will work with your personal injury lawyer to substantiate your claim through your medical records, witness statements, and other evidence while the insurance company looks for evidence that suggests your damages aren’t as severe as you claim. If you aren’t careful, what you post on social media can be used as evidence against you.

Everything you post online can be subpoenaed and used against you in a personal injury claim, including comments you make about the person who injured you, comments and photos of your activities after the accident, and photos you have been tagged in.

As an example, consider what can happen to your case if you are claiming damages for chronic pain and an inability to enjoy the bicycling hobby you once enjoyed but you post a photo on Facebook of a recent bike ride with a friend or a comment on a friend’s picture that you look forward to riding together soon.

While this may seem obvious, the defense can also twist your social media posts to suit their case. A picture of you smiling can become “proof” that you are not suffering from depression, for example.

There are many ways the insurance company may use the evidence it finds on social media:

  • Disprove the severity of your physical injuries, such as using photos of you performing physically demanding activities while claiming you can’t work
  • Disproving claims of emotional distress
  • Disproving claims of inability to enjoy hobbies and physical activity
  • Tracking apps can be used to discredit your version of the events leading up to the accident, even if you were merely confused or mistaken about the exact moment something happened

How to Protect Yourself

It’s important to guard against this problem by setting the privacy settings on your social media accounts as restrictive as possible. Always be careful about what you post and refrain about talking about the case or even your injury online. You may even want to shut down your sites until your litigation is concluded.

An experienced New Haven personal injury attorney can help you avoid potential landmines in your injury claim while protecting your best interests. Contact Dehghani & Associates today for a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer to review your case.

01 Jul 2015

New Connecticut DUI law goes into effect July 1st

From WTNH:

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Starting July 1, all Connecticut residents who have their license suspended after being charged with operating under the influence will be required to install a breathalyzer on the ignition of their car. The device used to be required after a second offense.

The breathalyzer, known as an ignition interlock device (IID), requires the driver to blow a breath sample into a tube in order for their car to start.

“If they blow in and it’s under the limit that’s set, then they can start their car,” said Skip Church, who lost his 18-year-old son, Dustin, to a drunk driving accident in 2004.

Read more: http://wtnh.com/2015/06/30/new-connecticut-dui-law-goes-into-effect-july-1st/



05 May 2015

EB-5 Visas

Our firm is one of the only firms in the State of Connecticut that represents clients in EB-5 immigrant investor visas. Please give us a call and come in for a consultation if you are interested in obtaining a green card through the immigrant investor program.

27 Feb 2015

Reality Check: three quarters of the American public supports the goals behind the President’s executive action on immigration.

From The Atlantic:

“On immigration reform, rhetoric has often been out of sync with public opinion. Despite roughly three-quarters of Americans supporting the goals behind President Obama’s executive action on immigration, Obama’s new immigration plan has run into repeated Republican roadblocks. Republican governors in 26 states are suing the Obama administration, claiming that the order exceeded Obama’s authority. A Republican-appointed judge in Texas ruled in favor of the GOP governors and issued an injunction halting the policy’s implementation. Republican congressional leaders are pursuing a parallel track to block the implementation of the executive action. GOP lawmakers have set up a partisan showdown by attaching riders to the Department of Homeland Security funding bill that would defund Obama’s executive action on immigration. That bill, or a continuing resolution, must pass this week in order for DHS to remain open.”

Original article: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/02/what-americans-actually-think-about-immigration/386036/